Monday, June 04, 2007

Frak! say it ain't so


It's official I have the worst luck when it comes to good shows, every time I get invested in a new one it gets cancelled lol. This time I'm referring to Battlestar Galactica (no not the crappy 1978 version) the 2003 miniseries.

Not only does this show have extremely talented, good looking (obviously) actors, but smart, tight writing as well. With complicated engaging plots that keep you guessing at every turn, basically everything you'd want from a series.

I don't know why I'm just mentioning this now, perhaps it's because I've really gotten into it recently and it's become a favourite. I first saw it when I heard Lucy Lawless (Xena) was going to appear in S2. She also came back last year for a bunch of episodes as cylon #3. Who according to the writers might return in S4 as well (yay!).

I actually didn't think I would be as interested in the show as I have become, because the majority of it takes place on a ship in space. Which there's nothing wrong with of course. I was a Star Trek fan back in the day, that's probably why I automatically thought this was going to be another Star Trek clone. Boy, was I wrong!. Well maybe not about the clone part.

That part actually drew me to the show, that and the interesting blend of religion (the idea of one god) with the ancient mythological gods of Greece. The last part was of special significance to me since I have a great interest in mythology. Throw in a military fleet, a war with the many copies of cylons (who look like humans) and the humanitarian struggle to survive all the while trying to find their way to earth and you've got my attention.

So of course I was sad to hear that S4 of Battlestar Galactica would be it's last:(. As I've said this always happens to me with every show lol. I understand why it is ending though, the producers obviously want to end it on a high.

They don't want it to become another 7th season of Buffy or the 9th season of Friends. And I guess the other thing is the crew of Battlestar Galactica is getting closer and closer to actually finding earth, so it would be really tedious to try to stretch that discovery out for another year.

No matter what happens I have a feeling S4 will be another rollicking roller coaster ride, and I can't wait to see how it all unfolds!. I'll say one last thing about the writers of this show they could undoubtedly give Joss Whedon a run for his money.

1 comment:

Jenn Z. said...

Yeah, I'm sad to see it end too. :(